Monday, December 12, 2011

Hey, Beautiful Girl!


Today I did something really special. It made me laugh and cry at the same time. It felt full of giving and remorse, but it was beautiful all the same. Do you know what I did? I downloaded a song off iTunes that I used to listen to with reckless abandon in high school... Is that weird? Heck, it made me feel so good, and brought me right back to what I was feeling at that time in my life. Wow... A 50 year old dropping in on her 15 year old life... what a trip!!! I felt like I was a teenager again... all that angst and heartache...sheesh... it's just so good and so bad! Takes me into the world of my teenage sons. Well, maybe just a little bit...


Girl, have you heard about the Brave Girls Club? No? Heck, girl! You need to know about being a brave girl! It will get you moving.... off the couch and downloading your songs from when you were 15! (just kidding- really, I did that before I read today's post.) Being a Brave Girl is about touching your soul with kindness. Sign up for the daily emails. You will be so glad you did!

Today, I honored myself. Wow, I tuned into me. It totally felt so good. Now, please excuse me, cause I'm gonna go listen to that favorite song again. And I'm going to turn it up really loud! That's the way it's gonna be :o)

Live in happiness!
x, Val

19 comments:

vicki said...

Good for you! Getting in touch with that 15 yo in us often feels amazing! (At least the good parts of the 15 yo)

debb said...

Good for you!

Kathleen Maunder said...

Sounds like a amazing day! The song I listened to most in high school was a very sad song. Maybe if I'd picked a happier song, I would have liked high school more? :) My girls seem to be having a better time there than I did. Good thing. I will check out the emails.

One Woman said...

Isn't it amazing how music can make you feel like you were right back there? I can hear an old song and remember where I was and what I was doing.

TUTU Monkey said...

(((Hugs)))).........Some of those Daily Truths bring me to tears in a good way. "Turn it up"!!!!!!

Pine Ridge Treasures said...

Crank up the tunes!

Karen Firnberg said...

I'm going to go check out the Brave Girls club. Thanks for the idea.

Susan K said...

I went to a Christmas Party this weekend and the band was a throwback from the 70s. It was super! I really want to win your giveaways!

Rose Red said...

I love hearing songs from my teenage years - takes me right back and gives me a lift. Yes, you have to turn up the volume too :)

Tycialk said...

Don't you just love the music of our youth. I keep thinking how the music of today is going to be classics in 20 years & it gives me the shivers. Lol. At least our classics really sang instead if rapping. I guess our parents felt the same way. This must be the year of the 50 year olds. Turn 50 myself in October. Enjoy your evening. Can't wait to see the winners of the blog hop. Hoping I'm one of them. Thanks again for the chance to win and Happy Holidays.

Barb said...

Val,
I opened your blog today and laughed out loud!! My big crush at 15 was Robert Plant - that gorgeous mane of hair and unworldly voice!!!!
My friend and I saw Led Zep that year - I think I need to make their music part of our regular pre-Christmas "do you remember....?"
Thank you for the reminder of how good they were.
Happy holidays to you and your readers, Barb

Carole Simcox said...

Wow, I'm fairly close to your age, older so I'm not saying ... lol. But I remember Led Zeppelin being my second favourite band next to CCR. Thanks for the great video! So I'm going to start following you as I'm a felter too and I love your little snowmen.

Mari said...

Wao!! te ves super joven y hermosa, no pareces de 50. Siempre que yo oigo canciones de 4:40 me pasa lo mismo. Evoco las memorias mas felices de mi juventud...cuando estudiaba en la escuela de derecho!

judy c said...

Isn't it great the way music is woven in with memories? Best of all is that we can choose the exact song we want for the mood/memory we are looking for. We can be young again any time we want...

Lisa said...

I was a teen during the Led Zeppelin years too. Thank you for the info on the Brave Girls Club. I'm going to look it up.

Karen Firnberg said...

Last day of the Blog Hop. I'm going to miss it. I'll keep checking in on you and your adventures.

Andra said...

Good for you Val! I used to listen to Led Zeppelin years ago and forgot how wonderful they are. You need to honor yourself more often because you are worth it!

Sandy Michelle said...

I admit that I sometimes spend nights checking out hughschool songs on youtube :) I still love Zeppelin! I love the snow men you made! Why did they look wet in one photo? I'm off to sign up for the brave girls e-mails.

Hugs!
Sandy

Valerie said...

Sandy, they took a tea bath! Some wanted their snowmen to look a little more antiqued, so we bathed them in Earl Grey tea, and they were drying out. They looked so funny!
x, Val