Saturday, May 14, 2011

We are all good enough


... just the way we are.

I have watched this video about a hundred times over the last couple of days, and I actually think it's beginning to set into my consciousness... Last night, I stood my ground, gave my reasons, did not feel inadequate or shamed by myself and my beliefs. My reasons are heartfelt, they understood my side, agreed to my stance, and I felt so dang powerful! Who-hoo! These life lessons can be so tricky when we are dealing with ourselves. Lordy, really; I am 50 years old, and I feel like I have a lifetime of learning still to do... Thank goodness I have Brene Brown during times of stress to help me out over here!

So, well, here she is... enjoy. And I really don't mind if you sit there and watch it about 100 times. You will get more from it each time. I know. I speak from experience on this one...

2 comments:

Marfa said...

I love how she put what she does as researcher storyteller..."data with a soul."

She makes great points, we don't want to "numb" our emotions! And I feel that television has allowed that to happen more and more...slowly through cartoons as children, and then action movies. I am not crazy about tv...and feel that I am emotionally sound, happy with the face that I am imperfect.

A quote that I heard once, that inspires me daily is:

"There's no way to be a perfect mom, but a million things you can do to be a good mom."
(not only for a mom, but father, etc)

Valerie said...

You are so right on, Marfa. I, too, love that part about numbing our emotions. I am guilty of that, and am working towards getting a better grip on not numbing, and being present. Both for me, but more importantly, for my family. I know I am "enough", and trying hard NOT to be "perfect" (I have issues with that too!), but I think I will listen to your quote today, and work on ways to be a Good Mom. That seems attainable. Thanks for the quote!
x, Val