Kokeshi Love



Do you have it too? I spent time during my childhood in Japan. When I left, a part of Japanese life and culture became a part of me... imprinted into my very consciousness. In total and complete awe of the beautiful Geisha and Kokeshi dolls, and of everything cute... do you see how it has formed me, and affected many things I make?



Oh. my. heck. Will you look at this bunny? How impossibly cute! ...and she's carrying a little flower....



In an online book club, my mom's group has been discussing Pema Chodron's book, When Things Fall Apart, Heart Advice for Difficult Times. I have been drinking in the thoughts and ideas by this amazing Buddist teacher, who encourages us to relax with whatever arises and bring whatever we encounter to the forefront of consciousness, so we can be free with the idea that "chaos should be regarded as extremely good news".


I have encountered the philosophy that wretchedness and inspiration are inseparable. As someone who works hand-in-hand with my inspirations, and struggles greatly with the level of wretchedness that has upended my life as of late, it's amazing to think that these two situations are not opposed to each other, but they actually work to compliment each other. Hummm...


Is that the reason my bunnies are coming out cuter than I can actually fathom?


Do I need the utter sinking of my soul to draw me into a place of humility and deep groundlessness, in order to be fresh and connected with my ideas?


Do you think I am getting awfully deep for someone who is drawn to the practice of making "cutes"?!


In reality, these are the things I ponder as my mind sits quietly in meditation and I needle felt away, very patiently, for hours at a time.




Miss Kokeshi and her Bunny friend will be making their way to Paper Tales later today. If you are in the neighborhood, make sure to stop by and see them in real life. I am warning you that you will squeal with their cuteness!! They will be two separate classes, and I am thinking about offering a giveaway for the first 10 people who sign up for either class! A kit and the instructions for making the sweet glittered stand! Oh my, will you be able to resist??? Details are coming very soon!!


x, Val